A short drive from Los Angeles lies the beautiful country side of Santa Ynez Valley, where Solvang is located. This quaint town has been attracting tourists for years and for good reason! Solvang is known for its Danish style architecture, food and many wineries scattered about. If you are driving the famous California coast on the Pacific Coast Highway, make sure to add Solvang to your stop! You can easily explore the city for a day or short weekend. I recommend two full days so you are able to experience all Solvang has to offer.
Where to Stay in Solvang
There are endless hospitality options; from Airbnb’s, to cottages, to vintage hotels.
Top Sites in Solvang
- In Town:
- Visit Old Mission Santa Ines, Catholic Church
- Walk around the town enjoying the Danish style architecture and pop in for a delicious pastry at Birkholm’s Bakery & Cafe.
- Rent Bikes! Not only do they have all types of bike rentals, Wheel Fun Rentals also offers self guided bike tours. On the tour you will be fully immersed in the towns history, experience museums, sip wine at vineyards and sightsee farms!
- Hidden Gem: Want to see stunning views of the valley? Check out this short stroll right outside the main town. The crossroads are Alisal Rd and Valhalla Dr., follow the sidewalk that loops through the edge of the valley. Sunrise or sunset is my personal favorite time to go.
- Coordinates on Google Maps GPS: 34.589541, -120.140840
- Outside of Town:
The Tastiest Restaurants
- Mad & Vin
- Succulent Café
- Peasants Feast
- Copenhagen Beer Garden
- Paula’s Pancake House
- Solvang Trolley Ice Cream Parlor
- Try famous Aebleskivers at Solvang Restaurant
There are hundreds of wine bars in town if you do not have time to visit an actually winery.
- Try a CHAMBONG at Cali Love Wine Bar
- Lucky Dog Wine Bar
- Lucas & Lewellen Wine Bar
The Best Wineries in Solvang
- Sunstone Winery. This scenic French villa winery is a must! Enjoy sipping on wine while listening to live music and soaking in the beauty of the property.
- Brave & Maiden Estate. This property is beyond stunning. You will be instantly greeted with a magical view and gorgeous modern industrial architecture. Not to mention the wine pourers go above and beyond to make your tasting pure perfection.
- Buttonwood Farm Winery & Vineyard. Between the wine tasting, baby goats and delicious peaches, Buttonwood Farm & Vineyard is a perfect place to relax and relish in the garden views.
- Travelers Note: make reservations way in advance for each winery! You can easily take an Uber or there are wine tours companies available if you want to go that route or have a larger group.
Visit Los Olivos, CA
A stone throw away from Solvang lies the town of Los Olivos. Boasting with unique shops, farm to table restaurants and charming wine bars, this friendly town is a wonderful place to spend a half day.
My perfect day would include shopping, enjoying lunch at the Wine Merchant Café, sipping wine at Epiphany, and of course finishing the day with some delicious donuts from Gods Country Provisions (only open Saturday and Sundays).